Sunday, February 13, 2011

Boulevard Chocolate Ale - Great Googlie-Mooglie

So Joe, the Reverend and I decided to celebrate our finally warmer weather with a trip to the Fort Worth Flying Saucer.  The Rev waved his magic wand and ran a list for us that showed unique beers availalble in Fort Worth that are not found either in Addison or at the Lake.

One beer, Boulevard Chocolate Ale (on tap), stood out on the list.  It's description?  Full of surprises, beginning with a glowing amber hue. The aroma is given over to earthy, fruity cocoa, with just a hint of hops. Smooth layers of dark chocolate intertwine with threads of caramel, vanilla, and nutty malt as the flavor warms and rounds to a bittersweet finish. 9.1% abv.  I'm in!

It arrived at the table in a smallish snifter. The color was rusty. Totally clear, almost glowing (as advertised). Very little carbonation and zero head. But I could tell by a quick sniff that this was no ordinary beer. It's aroma was totally chocolate. Dark chocolate. Like a candy bar. I took a sip and just about dropped the glass. Holy Crap! I closed my eyes and sipped again. Aha!!! It's a beer that tastes like a dark chocolate Milky Way. I'm NOT kidding.

This wonderful creation satisfied my need for sweet, for beer, for vanilla, for, well, just about everything.  The alcohol was barely present...at least until I was about half way through it.  This is a truly special and spectacular beer.
 
Of course my favorite part was when the Rev ordered the Blvd. next, but they brought it to him in an even smaller snifter.  Turns out...they'd poured mine in the wrong-sized glass.  Even better?  When the bill came, this lovely bit of deliciousness was only $5.  Bonus. 
 
If you find it, snag it.  We have GOT to have this beer again!

2 comments:

  1. There was NO doubt this was a chocolate ale, just from the smell. In fact, I was a bit worried that the chocolate flavor wouldn't match the smell, but I need not have worried. My only disappointment was that I didn't get the larger snifter like Tracy did. I will say that they poured to the top of the little snifter.

    ReplyDelete