Saturday, November 13, 2010

Got My Vote For Yummy

I went to the Saucer yesterday...my first time back to the Addison location since October 16!  WTF??  THAT'S how busy I've been.  But, as I suspected, it was like putting on an old pair of comfortable slippers. 

They had a couple of new things on the board, so I jumped right in.  I started off with a Harpoon Triticus.  It was their tapping on Thursday night (which I missed), and I'm sooo glad they hadn't dusted the keg.  It was delicious.  At 11.5% abv, it's chocolate and caramel-y flavors were rich and warming. 

Next I tried Rogue's John John Hazelnut.  WOW!  John Couchot first distills Rogue Hazelnut Spiced Rum and ages it in white oak barrels, allowing the barrels to soak up the subtle flavors of Oregon hazelnuts, vanilla and spices from the rum. When the rum is finished aging, the barrels are emptied and John Maier immediately fills them with Hazelnut Brown Nectar. After about six months of aging, this unique ale is ready.  It's very spicy - cloves, corriander - and only 5% abv (I thought it was much more...maybe that was the Triticus talking).

My final choice was Franconia's Fall'n Bock.  A beautiful dark bock with toffee and chocolate notes.  The flavor I tasted most, though, was like a baked bing cherry.  Hard to explain, but think: dark rich meat of a bing cherry, but browned.  Still sweet, not overpoweringly cherry, soaked in a really good bock beer.  I may need another one.  Just to make sure of those flavors.  You know, research.

1 comment:

  1. But what did they do with the rum?
    Jack Sparrow

    ReplyDelete