Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Flying Saucer - Oskar Blues Dinner

Last Thursday, September 26th was the Oskar Blues Beer Dinner at the Addison Flying Saucer.  Luckily, I had none of these Oskar Blues beers on my current plate.

The OB rep was Brent Hodgson.  You gotta appreciate a man who loves beer as much as Brent.  He was happy to talk about the various beers and let us know what had happened at the brewery with the flooding in Colorado.

We were welcomed with a can of Mama's Little Yella Pils.  A nice light pilsner that is made like European pilsners ... with just german malts, yeast and Saaz hops.

The next beer, Dale's Pale Ale was paired with a spicy cioppino.  The cioppino was made spicy with the addition of Oskar Blues hot sauce.  I loved this pairing and especially LOVED the soup.  So simple and so good.

Next we had Old Chub Nitro paired with fried chicken tender and waffles with a rosemary bourbon dipping sauce.  The chicken and waffles were very nice and the rosemary bourbon dipping sauce was worthy of drinking itself.  Others thought the rosemary was too much, but I thought it was great. I generally like nitro pour beers.  The nitro adds such a creaminess, but in this case, I think it somehow takes away from the maltiness of the Old Chub.

Next was what I had been looking forward to the most, 2012 Oskar Blues Ten Fidy paired with grilled lamb chops with a root vegetable hash and a Ten Fidy pan sauce.  One reason I don't do well in "finer company" is that I had no qualms picking up that chop and finish getting the meat off the bones with my teeth.  So good and the vegetable has was such a nice compliment to the lamb.  And what can I say about Ten Fidy that, please sir, may I have another!  It is said that Ten Fidy refers to the 10.5% ABV.  But, there are others who refer to a shirt worn by Dale Katechis where Fidy is an acronym for Fuck It Do it Yourself!

For the dessert round, Kevin did an unusual pairing ... Deviant Dale's India Pale Ale with a carrot cake parfait.  The big hops were tamed by the cream cheese icing and earthy carrot cake.  The parfait was a very nice presentation in that it came in an Oskar Blues shaker pint glass that we got to take home.

It was yet another great beer dinner done by Kevin Bartley and all the fine folks at the Addison Flying Saucer.  I can only image what Kevin will be able to do when they finally get a REAL kitchen in Addison.

No comments:

Post a Comment