Saturday, October 12, 2013

Great American Beer Fest 2013

I was totally blown away at the 2012 GABF; Joe and I moved to Denver in July, and there we were going to the greatest beer event EVER.  The 2013 event?  Damn!  The app was improved, the number of brewers was up by 20, and the number of beers increased by 200.  What's a girl to do?

Our friends Judy and the Reverend came up to go with us, and, boy, did we have a time. Hell, we're still drinking!  

We had two evenings to cover an enormous convention center floor full of beer.  We decided to start on the far side of the hall and work our way back to the merchandise wall, then back up. On Thursday, we planned to only hit the 10 islands on the west side of the floor...there are about 40 beer vendors on each island...and the east side of the floor on Friday night...god jesus...how will we ever?

Let me tell you...there's just no way.  I don't care how much you plan, how much you can drink in a given time, how easily you can snake your way through the crowds...you just can't do it.  I think next year (yes, we're already planning for that) we've decided that the best way is to attack this is to choose your "must haves" and then rank them.  Head for those first, because several of the most popular beers began running out early.   I'm kicking myself because there was a candy bar stout that I really wanted to try, but by the time I got to the brewer, they were out...worse...they won a medal for it.  Shit.

All in all, we drank a lot.  And, for the most part, rated our beers in upper starage (three or four stars).  And I guess one of the best parts about having the GABF in Denver is, that, even when you're not at the festival, there are a ton of good beers to drink in Denver.  Quite a few in our own neighborhood!

We had a great time at the festival, and I'm looking forward to next beer.  I mean, next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment