Tuesday, April 26, 2016

It Was A Great Beer Day

There is a badge on Untappd called "Goose Island Migration". To earn this badge, you must go to one of the cities listed in the Untappd blog entry for this badge during the dates listed. The closest city to Dallas that is currently available for this badge is Oklahoma City. It is about a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive north. Turns out, I could drive to OKC, drink a Goose Island beer and be back in time to go to my part time job. So, before 8 AM, I drove up to OKC to go to a beer bar called Tapwerks Ale House.  I have heard good things about this place AND they open at 11 AM, so I could get there, enjoy a beer or two and then drive back home.  When I arrived (at 11 AM), I was the 1st person in the place. I sat down at the bar and ordered an Oklahoma Flight. It came with 4 different OK beers from 4 different breweries. I also ordered a Goose Island 312 Urban Pale Wheat to earn my badge. As I chatted with Shaina, my bartender, she started pouring tasters of other OK beers to try.  They also had a Founders KBS (11.9% ABV) which is a unique beer on Untappd I hadn't yet had (but now have!).  Just what a wonderful morning. Shaina was a bit freaked out that I drove to OKC on what was arguably a poor day due to weather. But, as it turned out, was a PERFECT day to drive.  I had a nice tail wind all they way there and got super gas mileage and then had a sunny only partly cloudy drive back, albeit with a head wind. Plus, I was home by 3:30, leaving me plenty of time to decompress and change clothes to head to my job.

A huge shoutout to Shaina for being a wonderful bartender who seemed just as excited to share OK beers as I was to consume them :)

If you are in OKC, check out Tapwerks Ale House. Listed as the oldest tap house in Oklahoma. Old building with a nice dark wood interior with lots of tap handles and even more beers than are listed on the online menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment