Saturday, June 22, 2013

From Humble Beginnings, Mighty Beer Knurds Grow

As an early birthday present, the Sammy's presented me with this auspicious gift.  It is an old empty can of Buckhorn beer with an attached saying, "From humble beginnings, mighty beer knurds grow"

Back in the late 1970's in Amarillo, Texas, I often drank Buckhorn beer.  A beer which my father noted that a picture of the brewery was on the can.  Why would I drink such a beer?  Because it was cheap!  Back then it was cheaper to buy a six-pack of Buckhorn than it was to buy a six-pack of Coke.  In fact, it was just 99 cents! If you put the beer in the freezer so that it slushed up when opened, it was just fine.

It wasn't an exemplar of a good beer, but it was one that fit my pocket book.

I wouldn't mind trying one again though ... just for old times sake.

After all, from such humble beginnings, mighty beer knurds grow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment