Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Little Contest

I'm holding a little contest in my beer fridge.  The winner will be the beer that can prove to me it's the best summertime beer.  IMHO, that means a beer that's refreshing, drinkable over several hours by the pool and grill, but still full of flavor.

For several months now, I have not been able to go to Central Market without picking up an interesting six pack or two.  I'm still on the hunt for Allagash 4 (see note below), so I continue to stop into beer stores...and when I can't find Allagash, I pick up something else.  So for the next two months I've decided to focus on lighter, summertime brews (because I've been loving the porters and stouts for quite a while now...but they're tough to drink all day poolside).

Current leader is Bombshell Blonde brewed in Conroe, Texas by Southern Star Brewery.  But yesterday I saw a Deschuttes summer beer, Twilight.  That'll be on my shopping list next week. 

I'll keep you posted on the smackdown and let you know which brew I think is the winner.  If you have suggestions for contestants, let me know!

Note on Allagash:  Thanks to eagle-eye Sammy, who was perusing their website, she spotted this little note: Special Message: Due to an unprecedented demand for our beer, Allagash recently had to pull out of some territories. We love all of our markets, are expanding capacity as quickly as possible and working hard to assure that we are back on your shelves soon. We apologize for any inconvenience and/or lack of beer drinking that this has caused. Thanks for your patience.  Hope springs eternal!

1 comment:

  1. Sammy says it's hard to beat a good old Shiner Bock as a companion for summer sun (in)activities. Honey Moon with a slice of fresh orange is good, too. Also, almost any of the summer wheats... Aw forget it, we'll just have whatever you're having!

    ReplyDelete