Saturday, September 11, 2010

Like Taking Body Shots Off of Aunt Jemima

If you read seewhatwedidtodayblog.com, my apologies for the re-write...

At the Saucer today, we tried a new brew from Tommyknockers brewery in Idaho Springs in Colorado. After reading the description of this beer, I was so excited to try it: delicate maple syrup, nuttiness, caramel and chocolate all wrapped up in a brown ale. Wow! Let's get to drinkin'.

Emily, our beer goddess, poured it up for us, and I noticed that it didn't "glug" out of the bottle, like so many of my favorite dark beers do...it just sort of fell out. The pour was dark with very little head, but, hey, I think dark beers are always a bit surprising. Hand that over here.

I took one whiff and damn near went ass over teakettle. Good god! WTF? The maple was sooo overpowering, I thought surely there was a short stack heading my way. I set it down and drank some water to get back to an even keel.

When I regained consciousness after the insulin coma, I finally took a swig. Now to be fair, Joe loved this beer. I likened drinking it to french kissing Mrs. Butterworth. It was sooooo maple-y. I could just as easily been snuggling up next to a sugar maple and sucking on the spout. OMFG!! The inside of my mouth felt sticky...and not in a good way. The beer itself was thin, but the after-effect was all sugar, pulling at the enamel of my teeth and coating the roof of my mouth. Ick.

I thought Joe was ready to move into the Log Cabin, lock, stock and barrel. He slurped and suckled at Aunt Jemima's teat until with was dry. And, for a moment, he considered ordering a second one...I gave him the last half of mine. Yes. I made it halfway through. I kept hoping that it would grow on me; that maybe at any moment the urge to go to the Waffle House would pass. It still hasn't.

I was so thankful to move on to the next beer: An Ugly Pug from Fort Worth brewery, Rahr and Sons. I guess I should also be thankful that when I got up to go to the ladies room that I didn't stick to the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment