Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Affligem Blonde

I came to the Flying Saucer for glass night. Tonight's glass is a ceramic mug with Hoffbrau Oktoberfest beer. I have to come early to get a table. So, that means I have to drink a couple of beers before the 7PM release time.

Sometimes, when I am at loss for what to order, I start at the top of my "beers not tasted" list. So, I started with Affligem Blonde. I was a bit put off because $$$$ follows the beer description. At one time, this may have been an expensive beer, but it is the normal price of $4.75. I was pleasantly surprised at the bready and sweet flavor of the beer. Here is a description:
One of Belgiums oldest abbeys, Affligem began brewing beer in 1129. Cloudy, golden colour with a thin, yet lasting head. This classic abbey ale finds a nice balance between the sweetness of fruit and the spiciness of a Belgian white beer. The nose is of ripe apples, peaches, and honey with a bready undertone, with a subtly sweet flavor of fruit, honey, and spice. 7% abv.
Looking for a nice beer? Give this one a shot!

1 comment:

  1. I was a little put off by the finish of this beer. It starts off all nice and citrus-y. Nice lemon, maybe a little orange. And then it turns on you and goes all bitter like the pith of the aforementioned lemon or orange. Ick. Not really my favortie.

    ReplyDelete