Friday, October 8, 2010

Dogfish Head Theobroma


I missed the tap at the Addison Flying Saucer on Thursday. It was Dogfish Head Theobroma. I was surprised it was still available on Friday when I stopped in. What is that you ask? Here is a description from Beer Advocate:

Theobroma, or "food of the gods," is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs from Askinosie Chocolate, honey, ancho chilies, and annatto. The recipe is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras, which scientists claim is the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink.

How interesting does that sound?? I had huge expectations and was disappointed. Apparently, I am not the only one. There are many poor reviews on the Beer Advocate page:

It isn't bad, I just don't taste ANY of the flavors they noted. It is 9%-10% ABV, so you can't complain about that. For the money, there are just better beers out there.

Oh well, it is all about education and experience. It is better to have drunk and been disappointed, than not to have drunk at all. Well, perhaps that isn't the REAL quote, but it is apropo!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you really had me going with all that chocolate talk. Damn. Oh well, at least it was you, not I, who had that disappointing experience! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like you're missing out on the chili nuances of recent tastings. Maybe because you've eaten hot/spicey foods for so long, your chili buds are burnt to the nub and can't recognize the more subtle spice of chipotle and ancho chilies???

    ReplyDelete