Thursday, January 27, 2011

New Belgium 1554


I had no idea what I was getting the first time I ordered New Belgium 1554. It was one of the rotating kegs and was listed on the board. I overheard another customer talking about it, so I gave it as try. Now, they have it in a bottle and I really looked forward to it this time.

New Belgium 1554 is a Belgian Dark Ale. It is dark and sweet. The write up on the Flying Saucer site says: Other than being dark in color, 1554 has little in common with Porters or Stouts. The beer is fermented at relatively high temperatures using a European lager yeast that imparts a refreshing, zesty acidity. Chocolate and coffee tones in the nose give way to a surprisingly clean finish.

It is an excellent beer, so give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where you people have been...Joe said the same thing about just skipping over this beer when it first appeared on the Saucer's menu. Hell, I had it at Sammy's a couple of years ago...that Mr. Sammy has an eye for good beer when he sees it. Personally, I like the draft better, but the bottle ain't bad!

    ReplyDelete